Monday, March 29, 2010

Ben's Chili Bowl

Ben's Chili Bowl: 1213 U Street, N.W. in Washington, D.C

  • Directions: Take the Green Line metro to the U Street station, go up to the street level, and it's right across the street.
I wouldn't call this restaurant a tourist trap, it's like the sign says, it's an institution. People from Bill Cosby to the First Family have eaten here. I've been to DC a few times now, and every time I'm here, I keep saying I'm going to come up here. My sister and I decided we wanted to make this our first stop when we got in this morning. We got up there at about 1:3oish, and there was a line out the door, to the point where we had the door closed on us because there were too many people inside! It was worth the wait. Once we got inside, the people were friendly and helpful. It was mind blowing the amount of diversity inside. Small children, senior citizens, business men in suits, to teenagers having fun. The whole staff was friendly, and worked together like a well oiled machine. Once we put in our order, our food was right to us. I looked at my chili half smoke, and wondered how I was going to attack it. It was smothered in chili, and I knew I was going to be wandering around DC after this. I decided that I was going to start with a knife and a fork. That changed when I saw the man in the business suit sitting next to me pick his up and eat it without getting it all over him. I decided that I could do that too. I didn't get anything on my clothes, but all over my face and hands. It was nice seeing everything cooked in front of me as well. This is definitely a spot I will be returning to!

No comments:

Post a Comment